Freeze drying is a method that can be applied to any food item (even to ice creams !) … These products are used by people practicing outdoor activities (Backpacking, Mountain biking, Sailing, Kayaking, self-sufficient Running, Trail running …) or by those who just want to be prepared and have a food source for use in survival situations.
Below are the reasons why people use freeze dried products :
– Taste and appearance : freeze dried products taste and look like fresh products. Freeze drying does not shrink or harden the food, it rather preserves its aroma, shape, flavor… Once rehydrated, food products are like their fresh counterparts.
– Shelf life : freeze dried products have a very long shelf life. When the product is properly stored, food can last between 15 and 25 years. Even beyond this period, products will remain safe to eat, their flavor and nutrition values will be just as good as the day they were freeze dried. In comparison, dehydrated food only can last 4 years, and frozen products only 2 years.
– Nutrition values : freeze drying causes only little damage to food. Freeze-dried products maintain around 95% of their nutrients throughout the freeze drying process. Other methods, like dehydration, keep only 60% of the nutritional value because the heat used during the process breaks down some of the food’s vitamins and minerals.
– Weight and space : once the water is removed from the foods, they become very light. For example, the water content of vegetables, fruits, or dairies, exceeds 80%, cooked pasta contain around 70% of water, fish and meat contain between 65 and 70% of water, some products such as butter contain a little amount of water. Additionally, freeze drying is highly space-efficient; it allows you to stockpile more food in your storage space or to carry several units in your backpack.
– Preparation : freeze dried meals prepare easy and quickly, all you need to do is add hot or cold water depending on the menu, wait a few minutes and ‘voila’… your food is ready for eating ! Today, manufacturers are able to offer a large range of freeze dried meals. From breakfast to dessert, every meal can be freeze dried. From aligot to paella, through scrambled eggs and apple sauce, today thanks to the freeze-drying process, you can enjoy eating healthy and varied meals even in the open sea or on top of a mountain.